Renaissance Blog

 This is Hunters in the Snow (Winter) by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, 1565, Northern Europe



Some elements in this artwork that have really stuck out to me are the colors. I love how they aren't super bright, but still eye-catching. The way that perspective is very spaced out makes this artwork enticing to me. I like that the focus is on the hunters and dogs, but there are still other things going on in the background that add depth to the artwork. There are a lot of aspects in this painting, and I love how the artist can show all of them. The way that the dogs have their head hung depicts an unsuccessful hunt, along with the hunter having his head tilted down, it shows sorrow and disappointment. People are playing on the ice, enjoying a crisp winter day. 
I would probably own a copy of this painting, I think I would just have a hard time figuring out where to put it. 

I think that this relates to humanism, as the village portrays regular life in the day of someone who lives there.  I think that the features in this painting really showcase life. I think this painting relates more to humanism than other paintings because it doesn't just show one person, but rather a whole community.

Works Cited
Boffa, Dr. David, and Dr. David Boffa. “Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Hunters in the Snow (Winter).” " Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Hunters in the Snow (Winter), smarthistory.org/pieter-bruegel-the-elder-hunters-in-the-snow-winter/. Accessed 20 Feb. 2024. 

Zaczek, Iain. “Oil Painting.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, inc., www.britannica.com/art/oil-painting. Accessed 20 Feb. 2024. 

Comments

  1. I like the colors used for the painting. Something about the green background and almost grey-ish snow manages to give the painting an "old" feeling, like it's a polaroid almost. This, coupled with the expansive background, provides a lot to take in. Looking through it, I feel like I see new details each time which- like you'd mentioned- really does entice me. Likewise, I also agree with your judgement of humanism. More than just what's going on in the foreground, you can look out and see people skating, playing, and hauling wood. It certainly reminds me of my experiences from the village, but almost with a nostalgic feel to it. Lovely painting overall- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Blog

Early Modern Blog

Art Analysis